Chex mix brings me back to grade school days! My friends and I would chow on it when “snack time” still existed before lunch. You would think this snack is downright awful for you. While store bought isn’t the greatest (especially due to the high amount of sodium) homemade Chex mix is quite healthy as the occasional snack! Here is why:
– It provides 78% of the daily value needed for iron. This is essential in the formation of red blood cells and preventing iron-deficiency anemia!
– 2% of the daily recommended calcium is found in Chex mix.
– It contains 2% of the antioxidant Vitamin A and 45% of Vitamin C.
You are leaving out the butter in the homemade recipe along with most of the salt!
With Christmas coming up, this is a great treat to bring to a family party. Heck, I bet your loved ones enjoy it more than store-bought!
- 3 cups of Corn Chex
- 3 cups Rice Chex
- 3 cups wheat Chex
- 3 cups Multi Grain Cheerios (optional)- I didn’t use it this time around!
- 1 cup peanuts
- 1-1/2 cups pretzel sticks
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 4 TSP Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
1.) In a large bowl, combine the cereals, peanuts and pretzels. In a small bowl, combine the remains ingredients. Then put over the cereal mixture and toss to coat!
2.) Transfer to two 15 inch by 10 inch baking pans (coated with cooking spray).
Bake at 250 for 1 hour. Make sure to stir every 15 minutes!
Now excuse me while I go enjoy this delicious snack! YUM (: